IPCAREER JOB UPDATES
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Programme Manager (Polio), P-4
Job Number: 518616
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
For every child, a champion
- UNICEF Nigeria recently scaled up its integrated humanitarian response plan, and is leading humanitarian response in the education, WASH and nutrition sectors in the country, as well as the child protection sub-sector. We are tackling the resurgence of wild poliovirus, and are promoting health care access overall. We are also working on bringing 100 percent access to clean water and sanitation by 2030. We are working with partners on early childhood education initiatives and are supporting the national HIV program. In addition, UNICEF Nigeria is providing support for three critical child protection initiatives.
- Join our team and help us make sure every child has a champion.
How can you make a difference?
- Under programmatic and technical guidance of Chief, Communication for Development (C4D) and Polio Field Coordinator and under the direct supervision of the Chief of Maiduguri Field Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the Polio Program management, evidence based planning, strategy formulation, overall management, setting up a system of monitoring of Polio social mobilization and communication contributions to polio disease outbreak response and the development, implementation, and monitoring of work plans for the North East states of Nigeria that come under Maiduguri Field Office supervision.
- The incumbent will be expected to travel within the State and to those states that fall under the responsibility of the Maiduguri office, to conduct regular field supportive supervision and review status of implementation of C4D committed activities.
Quality contributions are made to the development and implementation of the PEI strategies and approaches through participation and collaboration with internal and external partners:
- Collaborates with other UNICEF sectors, particularly Health, Nutrition, WASH and Programme Communication to ensure integration of the Polio Eradication Programme with other interventions (e.g, de-worming, vitamin A supplementation, hygiene promotion, malaria control, etc.).
- Participates with UNICEF, Government, non-government organizations (NGOs) and other partners in planning and implementing Polio eradication strategies and approaches. Ensures achievement of strategic results in line with agreed Annual and Country Programme objectives and adopts corrective action to meet programme/project objectives.
- Contributes to the identification, development and dissemination of new strategies, methodologies, approaches and tools for improving programme delivery with emphasis on project management, evaluation, sustainability of intervention and community participation based on Human Rights framework and cross sector approach, in collaboration with other partners (e.g., WHO, BPHS NGOs and community organizations).
- As Manager, exercises managerial leadership for, and participates in, the development of the results-based sectoral work plan and technical decisions as well as for administration, implementation, monitoring and follow-up of sectoral project activity, consistent with the defined project strategies and approaches. Ensures objectives and targets are timely met and achieved meeting the requirements and quality standards, through full coordination between activities, by leading and supporting a team of professional and support staff.
- Meets with national and international agencies overseeing the management of programmes/projects. Participates in meetings with ministries responsible for programme/project review, and follows up on implementation of recommendations and agreements, and integration of gender mainstreaming across sectors.
Project implementation progress is monitored and evaluated for adjustment, acceleration and improvement of program delivery and sustainability:
- Whenever the security situation allows, undertakes field visits to monitor programmes, as well as participates in periodic programme reviews with government counterparts and other partners. Identifies necessary action for programme adjustments. Provides advice and assistance to government officials and implementing partners in the planning and management of the Polio Eradication programme and ensure sustainability of interventions.
- In Collaboration with monitoring and evaluation and program communication colleagues, conducts accurate and timely monitoring and data collection, and supports an integrated monitoring system.
- Participates in major evaluation exercises, programme mid-term review, annual sector review and preview meetings.
- Analyses and evaluates data to ensure achievement of objectives and recommends corrective measures as appropriate.
- Ensures the accurate and timely input of project information in the monitoring system, and issues status reports for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Drawing on monitoring and analysis of key program performance and management indicators, provides expert input to management reports, including relevant sections of the annual reports. Provides technical advice to programme staff, government counterparts and other partners on planning and management of integrated monitoring and evaluation of the programme.
- Ensures the timely preparation of annual sector status reports in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures. Participates in the preparation of all programme reports for management, Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, and annual reports.
Technical support is provided to government and NGOs at all stages of the programme cooperation, including capacity building of government personnel and beneficiaries:
- Provides expert guidance and managerial support to government and NGOs at the national and provincial levels in the planning, development and implementation stages of the programmes/projects. Identifies training needs; coordinates, develops, organizes and oversees training and orientation activities for government personnel and beneficiaries, for the purpose of capacity building, sustainability of programme/projects and promotion/expansion of coverage of services.
- Guides, coordinates and organizes a staff training/development programme with the Polio section in Maiduguri to upgrade the capacity of UNICEF Borno Office staff enabling them to progressively engage in and lead in the programme development, implementation and management of Polio Eradication programme. Oversees the conduct of relevant orientation, workshop, training and staff learning/development activities.
- Provide supportive supervision of LGA Facilitators, Volunteer Ward Supervisors (VWS) and Volunteer Community Mobilizers (VCM) network.
- Coordinates with Operations and Supply staff on supply and non-supply assistance activities ensuring UNICEF and Government accountability. Certifies disbursements of funds, ensuring those activities are within established plans of action and programme budget allotments. Monitors the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated. Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds.
- Ensures programme efficiency and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation. Submits financial status reports to management in compliance with the regulations and guidelines.
Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, programme coordination, information sharing and knowledge networking:
- Coordinates activities and exchanges information and knowledge with other programmes to contribute to achievement of overall country programme objectives. Participates in establishing effective monitoring, knowledge database/network and reporting systems to ensure the availability of current and accurate programme information/data and contributes to the development of communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and community participation for the Immunization Programme.
- Develop partnerships with various key community influencers and religious groups, including traditional leaders, community leaders, religious leaders, Primary Health Care (PHC) directors, teachers, artists on behavior change and social mobilization strategy supportive of effective and efficient program delivery.
- Maintains close working relationships to establish partnership and collaboration with external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate relevant data, exchange information on programme/project development and implementation. Ensures a significant exchange of knowledge, information, experience and lessons learned.
- Assists in resource mobilization and donor partnership development/maintenance as well as advocacy efforts to promote the polio programme. Participates in health sector and inter-sectoral meetings and provide technical guidance on behavior development and social mobilization. Contribute to donor reports and project proposals as needed.
Emergency preparedness is maintained, and in emergencies, emergency responses with effective coordination are provided:
- Provide support for the implementation of the communication plans for the Polio Outbreak Response (OBR) and Inactivated Polio Vaccine campaigns.
- Collaborates in forming emergency preparedness plan relating to the areas of responsibility. In case of emergency, participates in monitoring and assessing the nature and extent of the emergency in the assigned area. Coordinates and provide assistance to the Country Office in identifying where support is required in terms of immediate response as well as long-term strategy and plan.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Education: An advanced university degree in the Social/Behavioral Sciences, (Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, and Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behavior development, social mobilization, information and data management, participatory communication, and research.
- Work Experience: Minimum eight years of progressively responsible professional work experience in the development, planning and management of communication for development, including experience in developing countries, with practical experience in the adaptation and application of communication planning processes to specific programmes. Developing country work experience and field work experience. Experience in polio eradication programming with background/familiarity within an Emergency context. Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset.
- Language Proficiency: Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate:
- UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
- Leading and Supervising [I]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
- Analyzing [III]
- Relating and Networking [II]
- Deciding and Initiating Action [II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [III]
View our competency framework at: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
Application Closing Date
23:55:00 GMT+0100 (West Africa Standard Time); 2nd January, 2019.
Click Page 2 Below To Apply On Next Page